Racist Malaysia

A former aide of our Prime Minister tendered his resignation recently when he allegedly said something racist during a seminar. Just this morning when I was on my way back to Kuala Lumpur, I had breakfast at Bukit Gantang's R&R and ate my nasi lemak with a bespectacled middle age man. He was reading a newspaper and exclaimed loudly "Semua isu pun nak dipolitikkan! Pelik betul betul parti politik dekat Malaysia."




I reacted with a whimpering "Memang semula jadi lah tu." a simple fuse that trascended into a half an hour long conversation.




Racism in politics is inevitable in Malaysia simply because political parties are race-based. It is not hard to understand this. Because these parties represents their own race, every race issue when politicised is a blessed (and free) party campaign.




Today, when the opposition has more grip on our nation, race issues often escalated and breed anger, contempt and yes, undying party allegiance. There will be more racism-induced conflicts in the near future, I'm quite sure of it.


No comments: